D-BUS required changes in KDE 4

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 26 19:24:17 BST 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:
>2) Also, there's no way for a program with a different UID to connect to
>the session bus. So kdesu loses functionality.
>
>For #2, there is currently no solution. The only way for applications to
>communicate with each other using D-BUS if they don't have the same UID
>is to use the system bus (not the user's session bus).
>
>The implications of this is that you cannot have things like KCMs
> running as root. The solution for that would be to decouple the GUI
> part from the actual worker part: there would be a small worker program
> that would be run as root and would communicate with the GUI via the
> system bus.
>
>In the future, we can also investigate using PolicyKit as a
>replacement/complement for kdesu. It appears HAL will use it anyways, so
>we may have to have a front-end for PolicyKit.

Any comments on #2? This is much more important, IMHO. It's a major issue
for porting, because kdesu cannot start KDE programs anymore. In fact,
the whole idea of running a program as a different user is rendered
impossible.

You have to start a whole session in the other user's UID.
  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway