patch for Kate and Indic languages

Jens Herden jens at kdewebdev.org
Sat May 20 20:24:49 BST 2006

Hi,

we have a big problem with Kate and Khmer because of the non constant
character width. This problem must affect many other Indic languages as well!

The text renderer in Kate just adds the character width one by one to
calculate the position of the cursor. This breaks very bad for Khmer because
two character together can have a different width as the sum of the width of
the two character. That means when I type Khmer the cursor is not where the
character will appear and navigation is almost impossible.

I made a patch to fix this and I want to have this in KDE 3.5.3, if possible.
Can please someone look at it?

Jens