Error compiling kdelibs4_snapshot on AMD64

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Fri May 19 10:10:59 BST 2006

On Friday, 19. May 2006 10:56, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> >> AFAIU, the problem on AMD-64 is a compiler bug, so can't we bug people
> >> to upgrade their compilers?
> >
> >Haha, good one.
> I meant upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 or 4.0.3, if those work well enough.

the report was from a gentoo user who uses this unsupported strangely patched
gcc 3.3.x series that is afaik also in use in some other distro (mandriva?).
since its neither supported by gentoo nor by the upstream gcc people there is
no point in trying to workaround it.

> >There are 6 outstanding visibility bugs in gcc 4.2 (SVN) even, so it
> > depends on which level of "brokeness" you want to work around.
> Do you have an idea what those problems are? And the problems that 4.0.x
> has?

Yes. Far too mch to sumarize in one sentence though, if you're really that
curious you could just look it up in their bugzilla ;)

> It would be interesting to know, so as to know what we should avoid.

We're mostly avoiding these issues already (which we always did except for the
libstdc++ issue that only happened on LSB incompliant systems).

> What I can say is that visibility improves library size and symbols a lot.

it mostly reduces GOT size and relocation overhead (startup time). disk space
reduction is usually not significant.

Dirk