core/ui separationQt

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu May 18 16:11:16 BST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 13:09, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 18 May 2006 11:55, Luciano Montanaro wrote:

> > > We want to have libkdecore not depend on QtGui. Some of the KIO non-GUI
> > > related things are being moved up to libkdecore (think KJob). But
> > > libkio itself will depend on libkdeui, afaik.
> >
> > Does it really have to? All the UI an IOslave needs is a way to notify
> > errors, and mabe a way to ask for a username/password. It could do this
> > by either delegating the application to display/ask the needed
> > information, or ask a desktop service through IPC. What else I'm
> > forgetting?
>
> - progress information
> - overwrite/rename/skip dialog boxes
>
> So the full list is
>
> - progress information; already delegated to a desktop service,
> kio_uiserver - password dialog; already delegated to a desktop service,
> kpasswdserver (kded module) - overwrite/rename/skip dialog boxes; used to
> be in kio_uiserver and then I moved them back to kio, since modal dialogs
> in kio_uiserver were a bad idea, apps using uiserver would be blocked until
> the modal dialog is closed. [observer.cpp -r139967 for reference.] Maybe
> the fix is simply to let CopyJob be in kio or kdeui. It's the more
> low-level jobs that are non-gui.
> - errors and warnings. I like the idea of an ErrorHandler class that would
> be derived from in kdeui (maybe as a singleton instanciated by
> kapplication, which will be in kdeui, and which can be instanciated
> manually otherwise).

Just my 2c: it would be really nice if ioslaves would be usable without
linking to QtGui, otherwise they drag in libQtGui, the X11 libs, png, jpeg,
mng, ...
Having them not depend on QtGui might even give them a chance to be used by
command line apps (which would be KDE apps, but nobody would notice).

Bye
Alex