core/ui separation

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Thu May 18 10:55:22 BST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 10:43, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Matthias Kretz wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >as I still maintain a separation of non-GUI and GUI dependant code in
> > Phonon, I wanted to make sure that this is a sensible thing to do...
> > because even now the non-GUI code is not GUI free as there are
> > KMessageBox uses when errors occur. And of course it's GUI dependent as
> > it uses KIO.
> >
> >Will we have a kdecore that will not depend on QtGui? Is there a chance
> > of being able to use KIO without a dependency on QtGui? If not, I'll
> > drop the Phonon core/ui separation now and make some of that code a
> > little easier...
>
> We want to have libkdecore not depend on QtGui. Some of the KIO non-GUI
> related things are being moved up to libkdecore (think KJob). But libkio
> itself will depend on libkdeui, afaik.

Does it really have to? All the UI an IOslave needs is a way to notify
errors, and mabe a way to ask for a username/password. It could do this by
either delegating the application to display/ask the needed information, or
ask a desktop service through IPC. What else I'm forgetting?

Luciano

--
Łŭčīåñø Montanaro //
              \\ //