[Fwd: [kde-artists] Where to install (new) HiColor icons]

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed May 17 08:14:28 BST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:17:41PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> >On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:38:13AM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> >>Let's have one theme that is complete, and that's CrystalSVG.
> >>
> >good idea
> >
> Yes but ... (TM).  We should have the default as complete as possible,
> But we shouldn't install icons from other themes to make it complete.

definitely ... that's sort of implied by the word theme (as opposed to,
say, iconset).

> KDE also has the issue that much of what would normally be called
> HiColor is installed as KDEClassic and even if you take the intersection
> of HiColor and KDEClassic, you will still be missing icons that exist in
> CrystalSVG.  So you also need to add on to the list.  You can either add
> before HiColor:
>
> 	... -> KDEClassic -> CrystalSVG -> HiColor
>
> or (my preference) after HiColor:
>
> 	... -> HiColor -> KDEClassic -> CrystalSVG
>
> You would only add these if they weren't already in the search list.

let's extend the inherits key to allow specifying multiple themes. the
first one that is found and was not added yet, would be added:

hicolor: kdeclassic crystalsvg
kdeclassic: hicolor
crystalsvg: hicolor
shinycrystal: crystalsvg
randomother: hicolor

this would lead to sets like:
crystalsvg hicolor kdeclassic
shinycrystal crystalsvg hicolor kdeclassic
kdeclassic hicolor crystalsvg
randomother hicolor kdeclassic crystalsvg

if kdeclassic is not installed, things still look right. i think this is
what we really want.

it should be noted that scanning more themes means more startup time.
but i think we really need to come up with a blob-like cache anyway.
unfortunately, cache coherence isn't cheap - but then, maybe we needn't
to have a coherent cache at startup: it could be checked in the
background and a signal sent out later if some icons changed.