increasing the usability of search dialogs

Christian Stoitner Christian.Stoitner at gmx.net
Tue May 16 19:49:27 BST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 18:34, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> I have thought about that, too. The problem is that the dialog has a very
> different aspect from a toolbar... maybe not so big a problem, but would
> look more like a hack than a real solution.
> [...]
> Luciano

I think it should be more like a smart dock widget. it should change its
contents(the layout) when its docked. so we can have a big search dialog with
all the options and a smallish search bar with just a few essential things.

and as it should be a dock widget, it would be cool i you could drag it into
position just like other dock widgets. i think that would be much more
intuitive than just a button(which would still be nice as a shortcut, but i
think dock widgets in qt4 have them anyway?).

i think all dialogs should realy be these special dock widgets. i think
getting rid of the old style dialogs for many things is something the
usability group wants to do anyway. with these docks we could give the users
the choice.

Christian