increasing the usability of search dialogs

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue May 16 16:31:39 BST 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 16:24, Kuba Ober wrote:
> I don't see how an animation would improve broken behaviour. I'd be,
> for example, pretty annoyed by an animation that would, in practical
> terms, block the application and who knows what else. Sliding windows
> around isn't exactly cheap, especially if you're on a remote X session
> (even if over a gigabit connection). Animating windows might be
> acceptable on platforms that are optimized for just that, say OS/X.
> That's about the only platform where it could be properly implemented
> (as in not making the performance suffer).

I think you are a bit behind on technology then :)

I used an alternative window-manager the other day and it used
transparency quite abundantly.  While some was annoying after a little
while the alt-tab behavior was really really nice and smooth.

Having good animations definitely is possible today on linux and it also
helps usability tremendously if done properly.
--
Thomas Zander