increasing the usability of search dialogs

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue May 16 12:22:47 BST 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 13:02, John Tapsell wrote:
> Hi,
>   At the risk of being accused of thread hijacking...
Yes it has nothing to do with search (or other application) dialogs.
The default KIO progress dialog is out of process - but can be turned off.

>   In a similiar vein I'd love to see file loading also down inside the
> app.  Gnome does this for example in their text editor.  At the moment
> if you open a remote text file in kate (etc), it pops up a window
> saying loading and the kate window remains blank until it's loaded.
>   In gnome text editor, it shows a "loading" and progress bar in the
> top left hand corner of the blank page in which the text file will be
> shown.  I think that would be a great thing to have :-)

Document loading shown in a statusbar is what is done in e.g. koffice and
it would be very easy to do so in kate. Just connect the signals from the job
into a KProgress in the statusbar and use KParts::ReadOnlyPart::setProgressInfoEnabled(false).
(ok in koffice it's a bit different since it's the progress of parsing of the document
that is shown in the statusbar - but still what you mention is no problem either).