increasing the usability of search dialogs

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue May 16 11:41:45 BST 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 11:19, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Actually, I would want them on all the time, if the program can hadle
> them. They don't really get in my way most of the time--like when
> searching for a particular word. And they are really useful to search
> for well, regular expression, like "chapter [0-9]+". I'm not sure Qt
> regexps handle that, but with vi(m) I can decide if I want to search
> for whole words, or case-sensitive/insensitive etc.

The majority of the people that use KDE will not know what a regular
expression is, let alone use it.
In KWord we provide the kregexpeditor which helps, but does not change the
fact that its a feature only used by a tiny part of the users.

For that reason I'm more inclined to have it hidden by default, there are
nice collapsible panels for stuff like that proposed by the usability
people.
--
Thomas Zander