Concluding the discussion about splitting kdebase

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 15 18:42:19 BST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 10:37, Leo Savernik wrote:
> What are the implications of this removal? No icons on the desktop at all?
> Only system-defined icons like mount-points, waste-bins etc. but no user
> files? $HOME instead of $HOME/Desktop?

panels have icons.
panels can have user files as icons on them.
etc, etc ...

but we don't say "show this directory of stuff as the contents of the panel".
and that tends to be a lot more flexible and useful in general. i don't yet
have a proposal for what the default set up of the desktop should be (not
there yet), but "show directory X" is pretty lame.

if we treat the desktop layer as a really big panel with a 2 dimensional
layout we should get something far more flexible and mor consistent with less
code (compared to kicker+kdesktop combined). and it should still be able to
emulate "show directory X" if that's what people -really- want. i'm not
trying to prevent people from doing things i consider silly, but i am trying
to allow people who'd like to do something more/better to be able to =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo