increasing the usability of search dialogs

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon May 15 11:23:39 BST 2006

On Monday, 15. May 2006 11:09, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 15 May 2006 01:49, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I agree with the subtext that the old-school search dialog (a real
> > dialog) stays for the people that are used to such a thing.
>
> and how would one switch between them? smells like a configuration option
> coming up. i wonder if we can't figure out a "best practice" and just go
> with that.

Why not have a button on the Firefox-like search bar (which would obviously be
the default) saying "Advanced Search..."?

Then the search bar can be reduced to the most commonly used features and
others (like regular expressions and most of the "Options" settings in the
current search dialog) are available when doing an "Advanced Search".

2 cent,
  Jakob