increasing the usability of search dialogs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 15 10:09:42 BST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 01:49, Thomas Zander wrote:
> I agree with the subtext that the old-school search dialog (a real dialog)
> stays for the people that are used to such a thing.

and how would one switch between them? smells like a configuration option
coming up. i wonder if we can't figure out a "best practice" and just go with
that.

the problem i've noticed with the search in firefox is that it doesn't
announce itself very well: it blends into the rest of the window in a way
that doesn't make itself immediately obvious. the close button is also a bit
awkward. both are solvable though imho. it does take some window space up,
but not that much.

the problem with the find dialog is that it creates a window that needs to be
moved around to see the results and requires moving between two visual
contexts when using them. it's pretty sub-par.

on a related note i'd love to see us move to fewer dialogs, particularly when
modal, if we could shift to in-window sheets ala macOS.

--
Aaron J. Seigo