Concluding the discussion about splitting kdebase

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 12 19:47:20 BST 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 11:32, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > in fact, once i have more code in svn i will be moving to suggest the
> > removal of ~/Desktop completely along with justifications. so as i
> > alluded, this may become a completely moot point.
>
> I personally very much like that feature, which allows me to "share"
> desktops, even with Windows.

it should be something one -can- do if they wish (use their desktop to display
a given directory) but is a waste of space for most people and tends to
complicates things when it comes to usability such as "where do i save and
open something?". as a default it's a truly bad idea and there are other
approaches that are far more powerful, useful and interesting.

consider that we don't take the "display a folder" approach for panels and
that those tend to be far more useful and used in part because of this. you
can still show the contents of $DIRECTORY in a panel, of course, which some
people do. launchers and more are also on panels.

i'm also well aware that for the 5% or whatever it is of people for whom
having a non-navigational, icons-only file system view of a specific
directory is the bee's knees[1] they'll hate having this default changed and
i'm prepared for the innevitable push-back.

[1] "bee's knees" is a quaint way of saying "the best thing evar!"

--
Aaron J. Seigo