KHelpCenter/coreapps [was Re: Concluding the discussion aboutsplitting kdebase]

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Fri May 12 13:16:02 BST 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 12:05, David Faure wrote:
>On Friday 12 May 2006 12:52, Frans Englich wrote:
>> * A KHelpCenter as we know it now, which uses the above library. It is this
>> reference-like, huge manual library which you can lookup everything you got
>> on your system, plus the documentation about slaves, and so on.
>> * A light set of "viewing widgets", possibly part of the above library(and
if
>> so, it's used by KHelpCenter). When an application needs to view its
manual,
>> it uses this instead of launching the whole of KHelpCenter.
>
>I like the idea.
>
>Seeing the help for -all- kde applications, when requesting the help for -one-
 app, is a bit overwhelming.

>Getting only the help for the current app would be better; the design just
has to
>be done cleverly to avoid code duplication (with the full-fledged
khelpcenter).

On slower systems, it would be extremely beneficial to use this scheme if it
made help viewing faster. My system isn't very new, and I only ever look at an
application's help with reluctance because I know I'll have to wait. Also, if
as Frans says this will enable better context sensitivity in viewing help
files, that would also be a real improvement.

A good idea!

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.