Fwd: Helping with KDE4 (valgrind)

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed May 10 09:34:28 BST 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 18:13, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 07:34, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > This might also open up the possibility of querying a paused valgrind for
> > information about valid value and valid address of certain memory
> > addresses, and backtraces for its allocation/freeing/etc, which could be
> > integrated into the debugger support (eg. alongside a variable viewer
> > widget we could display which variables are not initialised/allocated).
>
> The debugger is another thing, but some kind of interactive control is
> built into callgrind, which should be done in a more general way for all VG
> tools. This would allow asking for definedness etc. in a running memcheck.
> What is your prefered interface for such a thing?

I'm happy with anything that has a well defined strict syntax; i guess it will
depend on what you already have available inside valgrind as to what's
easiest for you.  Seeing that the commands the user/client app would be
issuing are likely to be very simple (ie, just a command name, or a command +
one argument eg. memory address), a simple custom syntax will be fine; if you
don't want to create something from scratch, GDB's mi syntax, or xml would be
two good candidates.

Cheers,
Hamish.