Helping with KDE4 (valgrind)

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue May 9 08:37:57 BST 2006

On Tuesday, 9. May 2006 02:33, Julian Seward wrote:

> Hmm, I'm not in much of a position to advise on what's a good
> serialising/deserialising arrangement.  I would say that minimising
> the total number of bytes passed will probably help.  Why don't you
> just pass binary structs around?   Converting to/from ASCII takes
> time.

Well, its ASCII data from the start with ;) Anyway, reading proc filesystems
is very slow, and every access has to be reduced. However, I don't think that
this is the limiting factor, and the preliminary numbers of Julian pointed
out that when you spend 70% of your time in processEvents, then the data
marshalling is not your issue.

Dirk