[RFC] Moving out KDE3 stuff out of trunk
nicolasg at snafu.de
Sun May 7 16:05:03 BST 2006
On Sunday 07 May 2006 15:19, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:
> Søndag 07. maj 2006 08:58 skrev Nicolas Goutte:
> > As for stable, I just want to point out that even if stable is currently
> > holding KDE3 stuff, it will too one day be for KDE4 and then we will have
> > to think where to put the stable KDE3 stuff. (Therefore my additional
> > idea of branches/stable3 .)
> But when we went from kde 2 to kde 3 we only had two versions, so what is
> different now? At some point we stop translating for kde 3.*.* don't we?
Personally I think that we are in a different position than for the transition
from KDE2 to KDE3.
We have plenty of KDE3 applications and plenty of users of KDE3, in both cases
much more than it was the case in KDE2. So I do not think that it is wise to
drop everything even before having a (half-ways) concrete conversion to KDE4.
Also as far as I understand, there are much more professional users of KDE3
than there were of KDE2, including companies having products using KDE3. (And
I do not mean Linux distributions, which will probably want to switch to
KDE4.) Perhaps KDE3 will be completely dropped when KDE4 will be released,
but perhaps not. Only the future will tell.
Again I would like to stress that my plan was to keep all "doors" open.
Personally I do not think that deciding now that there will never be a new
major KDE3 release is a good idea, because if this decision would need to be
reverted it would be quite a major task, while keeping the KDE "door" open is
not such an effort. So I have preferred to find ways where a major KDE3
release can still be done, even if at the end it will not be. (It is not that
a new major KDE3 version is not asked by the users, it is just the problem
that it is a human problem that it cannot be done now and in (at least)
Have a nice day!
More information about the kde-core-devel