[RFC] Moving out KDE3 stuff out of trunk

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sun May 7 13:02:18 BST 2006

On Sunday 07 May 2006 09:10, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Samstag, 6. Mai 2006 21:43 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
> > The branches/unstable3/KDE could be the start of a KDE 3.6 (after KDE4),
> > if such a project would become concrete somehow. (If not, it would not be
> > difficult to delete it when it would really evident that there would not
> > be any KDE 3.6.)
> >
> > As for Scripty, doing this plan completely would probably mean that we
> > have to change Scripty to make it work in two days: one day for
> > processing KDE3 stuff and the other one for KDE4 stuff.
>
> You didn't give a reason why you think this is a good idea. No, we don't
> want a KDE 3.6 and we want to give translators not more than two locations
> to look at. So again: what was your initial reason to propose that?

The very basic idea is that we need a stable and an unstable branch for
extragear anyway, and this for months or even years after the last KDE3
release.

So as the branches are needed and will be created, we can use it for something
else.

As for the translators, they do not need to concentrate on more than two
branches if they do not want: KDE3 stable and KDE4 unstable.

But some translation teams want to work with unstable documentation
translation, which are currently in trunk (with document source in
trunk/KDE), despite being KDE3 stuff, therefore blocking KDE4 (even if it is
not acute yet).

But may be I was not clear enough. My proposal is not a final plan, it is a
plan to move forward. When KDE4 will be released, we can see what is the
situation at that time and then close branches that will seem to be useless
at that time.

Have a nice day!