proposal for kaction api change

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri May 5 07:22:47 BST 2006

Hi,

Jens Herden wrote:
> inspired by a discussion on kde-devel I was looking into kaction and I
> would like to propose to clean up the interface a little. There are many
> methods related to shortcuts and I think we should reduce them.

As the one who started that thread, I'm obviously interested in such a
cleanup :)

> enum ShortcutType {
>       /// normal shortcut
>       Shortcut = 0x1,
>       /// default shortcut
>       DefaultShortcut = 0x2
>       /// global shortcut
>       GlobalShortcut = 0x4
>       /// default global shortcut
>       DefaultGlobalShortcut = 0x8
>     };

This is better than the current scheme.  However, I still think that the word
"Default" strongly implies that it will be used in the absence of other
defined shortcuts, which (IIUC) is not the case, even under your proposed
scheme.  I guess I still don't understand the point of the Default shortcut,
as currently implemented.  By definition, the "Default" shortcut must be
whatever the program sets when you start it for the first time.

I think we ought to regard the Default shortcut as the "normal" one.  The
Custom shortcut should only rarely be used, when the user decides to override
the shortcuts defined by the program.  So my enum would look like:

	Shortcut = 0x1,  //normal (Default) shortcut
	CustomShortcut = 0x2,  //user-defined custom shortcut (overrides default)
	GlobalShortcut = 0x4,
	GlobalCustomShortcut = 0x8

However, I'd actually prefer separate accessors for the two types of
shortcuts, rather than passing an enum argument.

Here's how I think it should work:

	//in the init code, setting up actions:
	KAction *ka = new KAction( KIcon( "window_new" ), i18n("&New Window"),
actionCollection(), "new_window" );
	ka->setShortcut( KShortcut( "Ctrl+N" ) );

At this point, the shortcut for a new window is "Ctrl+N", because no Custom
shortcut has been defined.  This is implicitly the "Default" shortcut.

The code has a slot triggered when the user wants to set a custom shortcut:

void slotSetCustomShortcut( const KShortcut &ks )
{
	actionCollection()->action("new_window")->setCustomShortcut( ks );
}

At this point, the shortcut for a new window has been replaced by whatever the
user specified.  Internally, both the default Shortcut and CustomShortcut
have now been defined, and when this is the case, the CustomShortcut is used.

Now, the user decides to go back to the default, and presses a button to
trigger this slot:

void slotRevertToDefaultShortcut()
{
	actionCollection()->action("new_window")->setCustomShortcut( KShortcut() );
}

The CustomShortcut is now null, and so the program reverts to the "default"
shortcut that was defined in the init code ("Ctrl+N").

Doesn't that make more sense?

Jason

--
KStars: http://edu.kde.org/kstars