Please update: cmake 2.4.1 required for kdelibs trunk
William A. Hoffman
billlist at nycap.rr.com
Mon May 1 22:21:27 BST 2006
At 03:59 PM 5/1/2006, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>On Monday 01 May 2006 21:43, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>> On Monday 01 May 2006 21:20, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> > On Monday 01 May 2006 21:05, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>> > > On Monday 01 May 2006 21:02, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> > > > cmake 2.4.1 beta has been released and is now required for building
>> > > > kdelibs trunk (this is the first required update since cmake 2.3.4,
>> > > > march 19th).
>> > >
>> > > What happened to 2.4.0 stable?
>> > It was 2.4.0 beta, not stable, a slightly unusual versioning scheme. I
>> > think it became a 2.4.x because the 2.4 branch has been created in cmake
>> > cvs.
>> Can you explain the scheme?
>Bill could probably better.
>In cmake cvs a 2.4 branch was created last week. I guess every release which
>is made from this branch will be 2.4.x. If it's not yet considered stable a
>"beta" will be appended. After a 2.4.x release follows a 2.4.x+1 release,
>independent from beta or stable.
>> > > I mean, we're jumping from beta to beta version nowadays (you
>> > > previously suggested that 2.4.0 beta was the way to go).
>> > Now that 2.4.1 beta is released we really *have* to raise the required
>> > version, otherwise we will never be able to clean our files up.
>> > If we wait until "2.4.2 stable", we will just then start to find the bugs
>> > and maybe need a 2.4.3 soon.
>> Why wait for 2.4.2 stable? Pick 2.4.1 stable which surely will be out soon,
>After 2.4.1 beta there will be 2.4.2 ( beta | stable )
>"will be out soon" -> "will be out as soon as we give an OK"
>Basically they are waiting for us to report bugs. Most other users are
>satisfied with cmake 2.2.3.
>We cannot use and test any of the new features which are in cmake cvs since
>1.5 months if we don't update to it.
The first public release of a cmake release x.x.0 is considered beta.
In this case, I made a 2.4.0 release and only announced it to the kde
list to make sure there were no serious bugs with kde. I have announced 2.4.1
to the cmake list. It can be considered stable, there should not be any
API changes for 2.4.2, just bug fixes. 2.4.2 will not be beta.
More information about the kde-core-devel