[patch] Preload popup menus for the desktop (3.5)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Mar 31 03:03:01 BST 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 13:35, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> Here's one that will no doubt be at least semi-controversial, but for
> me I believe solves a significant issue for first impressions in KDE.
>
> The right menu button on the desktop is slow.  Really slow.  In my
> profiling here (on a fast machine) it took between 250 - 750 ms to pop
> up.  Waiting 3/4 of a second for a RMB menu on a text file just seems
> silly.

Not only first impression; If my system is under load (while compiling for
example) the popup can take upto 5 seconds to show.  Mainly because it
has to swap in stuff.
I'd have to try the patch, but from the description the approach seems to
solve that issue, and therefor I think its a good idea :)
I am interrested in the memory used for a average menu. How many pages
will be touched by looking up if the wanted menu is already present?

I do have point out that there is no clearing of the cache, for as far as
I could see. When I alter the mine-bindings I expect the menus to change.
Similar with the config option to show the delete or the move to trash
actions.
Oh, and did you think about users holding shift which makes the move to
trash be replaced with delete action?

Cheers!

--
Thomas Zander