KDE 4 Core Libraries major features

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 30 19:17:10 BST 2006

Hello again fellow developers

I have gone through the suggestions posted on the "KDE4 Development
Critical Path" thread and collected them all here. The features are
listed below:

- Build System
- Getting rid of Qt3Support
- Phonon
- Solid
- D-Bus
- KConfig backends
- XMLGUI upgrade
- KHTML & friends (WebKit, KDOM/KHTML2/KSVG2)
- Akonadi

For each one of those above, I'd like to know:
0) is it really a needed feature for the KDE 4 Core Libraries?
1) who could we list as the main contact (someone to update us on the
progress, etc.)?
2) how far along is it?
3) how long should it take to complete?
4) what other features not currently done it depends on?

If there is something more, feel free to add them to the list. These are
the features that will need to be present in the Core Libraries for a
future kdelibs Technical Preview release sometime later this year.

Question #0 is there because I (personally) think that Akonadi doesn't
belong in the list. So I ask the PIM developers to tell us all again if
it's supposed to be there. (I'm not denying it's important, I'm
questioning it's core libs stuff).

Our (TWG's) hope is that the Technical Preview release marks the division
between (before) the large-scale changes in kdelibs and slow uptake in
applications and (after) small changes in kdelibs and applications
progressing much faster.

If we want to release KDE 4 this year, we need this TP to happen as soon
as possible, so that apps can be worked on.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway