Farewell KAccel, you have served us well

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Wed Mar 29 18:44:05 BST 2006

Le Lundi 27 Mars 2006 16:05, Hamish Rodda a écrit :
> Hi,
Hi,

> As an added bonus, I noticed that from an api design perspective, it made
> more sense to allow any KAction to be associated with a global accelerator,
> rather than to special case it as was the case in the past.  So, now you
> can assign (programatically at least, gui to follow) a global accelerator
> to any KAction.  imho it is a gain, but not as large as it might first seem
> (many actions need focus to do something meaningful for the user).  I also
> abstracted most of the bookkeeping out of KGlobalAccelPrivate and into
> KGlobalAccel itself, so that the (now renamed) KGlobalAccelImpl class can
> concentrate on doing platform-specific tasks only.  KGlobalAccel is now a
> singleton.

I'm not sure if it is fine.
For most actions, global shortcut make no sens:
  - some actions need, like you mentioned, something focussed or selected
  - if not, which action to trigger if several windows of the same application
are open ?
  - and what if several instance of the same applications are open.

Actions that could have a global shortcut are very specific. (thoses plugged
into the systemtray menu)

Also, is there a use case of having both a local and a global shortcut ?

An idea is to have two flags:
  1- Does it make sens to have a global shortcut ?   (set by the programmer)
  2- Is the shortcut global  (set in the config)

Another almost unrelated thing:
I'd like to be able to execute one action with dcop^W dbus
In order the make the mouse gesture and voice trigger configurable in the
application configure shortcut dialog. The khotkey deamon must know which
action collection is "active" (if the window has actually the focus).  And
must be able to execute the action.