kdereview/extragear procedure

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Mar 28 19:37:28 BST 2006

Hi,

Will Stephenson asked on kde-devel today how to proceed with KNetworkManager's
move to kdereview and ultimately to extragear/network.

Unless I have looked into the wrong places, there is currently no real
procedure how to do this correctly.

For example I have just moved one of my projects (kabcclient) to kdereview
when I first thought it release worthy and asked on kde-core-devel,
kde-extra-gear and kde-pim for comments.

Since there has neither been an accept nor reject reaction, I am still
uncertain about the official project status.

Since my understanding is that KDE4 will allow even for other modules to be
released outside the library schedule, I recommend we come up with a
procedure for application review, inclusion and possible exclusion.

For the current situation I could imagine something like this:
- developers can move their project to kdereview when they think they are
ready for it

- they announce the move on the extragear list and, if applicable, on the
developer list for the main module of its kind, e.g. kde-multimedia for a
multimedia application.

- they wait through a four week reaction period

- if there are unmet requirements the developer has to implement them until
they are met or can opt to move directly back to playground

- once all requirements are met but not earlier than this four week RFC period
the project can move to extragear

What do you think?

Cheers,
Kevin