kdebase + kdelibs head

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 21 19:19:41 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 12:03, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> I seem to remember that for KDE 2 -> KDE 3 we just had "source incompatible
> Mondays".  Why not just go back to that?

that's essentially what we have now with _snapshot but without having to make
people sandbag changes to libs for too long (leading to snappier devel in
trunk/kdelibs). it does mean that hot patches for fixes in kdelibs need to be
applied twice: once to snapshot and once to trunk/ in the case you brought
up, and then we can continue the trunk/ vs _snapshot dichotomy without
slowing people down.

for bug fixes, i don't think that patching _snapshot should be a problem as
long as we have the clear policy of "no API changes in _snapshot (only bug
fixes within existing code), and no patches to _snapshot that aren't also
sent for application to trunk/ to kde-core-devel or otherwise applied to
trunk/". this way we avoid the problems of merging _snapshot changes back to
trunk/ or losing those changes in future snapshots.

if API changes or large class overhauls are needed then it's probably safe to
say that one needs to follow trunk/

--
Aaron J. Seigo