cmake news: RPATH, kdevelop projects, finding kdelibs

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 20 09:43:05 GMT 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>On Friday 17 March 2006 10:05, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> >"install" - (not on OS X)
>> >Compile with RPATH set to the installation directory, the kde library
>> >directory and the Qt library directory.
>> >To run the executables during the build, simple wrapper shell scripts
>> > are created which set (DY)LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.
>>
>> Do you pass the -Wl,--enable-new-dtags linker option to g++ during
>> linking? If you don't, you know by now that setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> has no effect if you used RPATH, on most distros anyways.
>>
>> Anyways, why isn't this option the default and why can't OS X deal
>> with it?
>
>Because AFAIK under OS X  RPATH does not exist, but instead
> install_name. I guess for OS X the now-defautl behaviour is just right
> (supposed I did it correctly, which is probably not the case since I
> cannot test it)

But if the end behaviour is the same (i.e., the final binaries load only
libraries installed in the destination path), it should be the same
option.

And I strongly urge to make this option the default. It has to be so for
released code anyways, or the "no rpath" option. Relinking during
installing and leaving clutter in the form of build-paths are not options
for release code.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway