KDE4 Development Critical Path

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Mar 17 16:42:55 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:01, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> Michael Brade wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 March 2006 10:13, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >> One important reason pro processes is that a crash in a kioslave process
> >> doesn't kill the whole application. This advantage of separate
> >> processes over threads should not be underestimated.
> >
> > That's actually a very good point! I will immediately remove all my
> > thoughts about threads :-)
>
> Threads and processes are not equivalent and have different usages, and
> kioslaves are much more a job for processes than threads, IMHO. All they
> need to do is to feed back a data stream to their parent, they do not
> need to access the parent's data, and they are relatively short lived.
> Turning kioslaves into threads would be a huge mistake. I can't see any
> added benefit (not even performance), but it will introduce endless
> reliability problems.

For most ioslaves this is right.
How about the file ioslave ?
It doesn't have to talk over an complicated protocol. It transfers large
amounts of data from a very fast source (harddisk). Being able to do this
without having to push the data through a pipe could probably be a noticable
performance boost.
Probably not for small files on a fast and idle system, but for big files on a
slow system under high load.

Bye
Alex