my little tooth on cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Mar 17 16:35:09 GMT 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 16:15, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Friday 17 March 2006 15:54, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > development. I.e., you have to actually _compile_ cmake (successfully!
> > and the right version! which is now a rather fast moving target) before
> > even coming close to compile KDE.
>
> Amen. This was the crux of my recent question here related to cmake and
> kdebase. Alex suggests CVS HEAD of cmake for now. It certainly doesn't make
> progress any easier when you can wake up in the morning and need to compile
> a new cmake and new qt-copy before checking to see if kdelibs is still
> working.

This is right. But except for the windows developers this wasn't the case
until now.
Until yesterday the last kde cmake release was required (2.3.3), yesterday I
did some work on the RPATH issues. These are new in cmake. This is a
chicken-egg-problem. The cmake guys won't release a new version without
having this stuff tested, we would prefer to require a released version,
which has also been tested good enough.
I think the stuff I added yesterday is simply ignored with cmake 2.3.3 (didn't
test), but today I recommend current cmake cvs.

cmake 2.4.0 is not far away (a few days to weeks), once it is released, this
will be the requirement for along time.

Bye
Alex