Trolltech, Qt 4.2 and KDE 4.0

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Thu Mar 16 11:40:19 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 Mar 2006 0:41, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>On Thursday 16 March 2006 00:59, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> >
>> >Personally, I think it would be nice. I have to check in the office if
>> >it's a shared opinion.
>>
>> Hmm... we already support UTC and Local Time. Is the feature you wanted to
>> support any timezone?
>
>Yes. (Think KOrganizer, e.g. the secretary in Germany setting up a meeting of
>the executive in the US with the customer in India inviting a colleague from
>Australia while being on the plane from Russia to Japan, using three
>different groupware servers, but not messing up the time zones.)
>
>> That might be difficult to accomplish in a platform-independent manner.
>
>That's exactly why it would be fantastic to have it in Qt. I know that it's
>not an easy problem, but the benefit would be enormous. With our half-working
>solutions we are only attracting trouble especially when considering a
>cross-platform world.

Are you saying that the new KTimeZone and KDateTime classes don't meet your needs? If
so, surely they could be modified. The only part that I am aware of that is still
missing is cross-platform support, although there is skeleton provision for that.
Nobody has yet volunteered code.

There are also new ICalTimeZone classs in libkcal. I hope to convert libkcal code to
use use these classes sometime soon.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.