Trolltech, Qt 4.2 and KDE 4.0

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Mar 16 00:41:08 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 00:59, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >>Do we have a chance of Qt getting proper time zone handling for
> >> QDateTime or in some other clever way? This would be very helpful for
> >> big parts of KDE PIM. Our current solutions are less than optimal and
> >> something in Qt might be just what we would need.
> >
> >Personally, I think it would be nice. I have to check in the office if
> >it's a shared opinion.
>
> Hmm... we already support UTC and Local Time. Is the feature you wanted to
> support any timezone?

Yes. (Think KOrganizer, e.g. the secretary in Germany setting up a meeting of
the executive in the US with the customer in India inviting a colleague from
Australia while being on the plane from Russia to Japan, using three
different groupware servers, but not messing up the time zones.)

> That might be difficult to accomplish in a platform-independent manner.

That's exactly why it would be fantastic to have it in Qt. I know that it's
not an easy problem, but the benefit would be enormous. With our half-working
solutions we are only attracting trouble especially when considering a
cross-platform world.