The Technical Working Group's mission statement

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Mar 15 17:00:08 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 16:28, R.F. Pels wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 01.52, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Please feel free to start coding it yourself then. None of us who work on
> > kdevelop have enough time for that. :(
>
> Which makes me very wary about how long it will actually take. I'm afraid
> that this answer implies that even when KDE4 is out it will take
> considerable time for cmake support in kdevelop to materialize. If that
> happens we're going to end up in a situation where kdevelop users are going
> to end up in a position where kdevelop simply lacks a project manager for
> cmake projects while they are unable to use automake projects because KDE4
> does not support that buildsystem anymore.
>
> Let me reiterate and please enlighten me if I'm wrong here:
>
> - cmake has support for parallel compilation

Yes.

> - cmake maintainers are actively supporting in making cmake the
>   KDE4 buildsystem

Yes.

> - cmake can generate kdevelop project files

Yes.

> - cmake documentation seems to me as flimsy at best

For me it was easier to learn than autotools. The stuff you can find at
www.cmake.org really explains most things.

> - there is no widespread cmake experience under KDE developers

Yes, now after two months. How is this different to the situation with
autotools after years ? ;-)

> - there is rudimentary support for cmake in kdevelop

With autotools there was no support other than having to create the project
yourself. With cmake you can get the projects automatically.

> - there is no project manager in kdevelop that works with cmake and
>   can roughly do the same as the automake based project manager

Yes.

> - there are zero project templates for cmake in kdevelop geared towards
>   Qt and/or KDE projects

No big deal. Takes one day of work (which I don't have currently).

> - kdevelop maintainers do not have time to add reasonable cmake support
>   in short notice

Depends on your definition of reasonable. I never met even one KDE developer
who used kdevelop to work on kde modules in the past. The situation is now
with the current cmake support in kdevelop/kdevelop support in cmake *much*
better.

> - if I want to use kdevelop to port a KDE application to KDE4 I need
>   to use cmake because there is no automake support in KDE4 anymore

Yes.

> - without something like a project manager kdevelop reduces to a
>   plain code editing environment

So, the main taks of an IDE is setting up linker and compile flags ? I don't
think so.

In kdesdk there's a am2cmake script which does most of the conversion for you.

Bye
Alex