KDE4 Development Critical Path

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Mar 15 10:58:02 GMT 2006

Michel Hermier wrote:
>Is it possible to imagine to have both modes (thread/process) and
>control it by environement variable ?

I'd rather not.

>I see 2 avantages to have it in threads, while I agree by default it
>should go to a different process :
>- help debuging in 2 ways: enabling the usage of regular debuging
>tools (without great knowledge for the end users), enable *live*
>debugging without disturbing the *production* system.

Threads and debugging don't go together in the same sentence if that
sentence also contains the word "gdb".

Debugging threading problems is difficult, compounded by the fact that gdb
has very little threading support. (Have you tried to have one thread
keep running while all others keep stopped?)

>- don't need to start the whole kde backend if you intend to use a
>single app of the KDE (this argument is weak, but can help to run
>small/single apps on weak on ressources systems).

This can be done by starting a separate process out of the application,
instead of out of kdeinit. KDE_FORK_IOSLAVES, I think.

This means ioslaves aren't shared.

>Another thing, wouldn't it be to make the kio use the D-BUS system to
>control the IO ? I know some peopole are against it and prefer the
>handmade protocol, but I think we can take some advantages of using
>the D-BUS, and add some functionnallity to the KIO processes, like:

I'd like to do that, but it's not high up in my priority list.

The compromise I remember discussing was have D-Bus do the control
channel, but use a separate socket for the data channel, thus avoiding
the dbus-daemon be a man-in-the-middle.

Then again, D-Bus already possesses direct app-to-app communication, so we
could use that too. (I have not implemented that part of the protocol yet
in QtDBus)

>- monitoring the KIOs and get some informations/statistics about them.
>- duplicating stream from a single KIOs (duplication of live /*video*/
>stream by example)
>- more maintainable/easy way to control/configure the KIO's beahaviour.

I don't see how D-Bus would help any of those tasks. Can you clarify?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.