KDE4 Development Critical Path

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Wed Mar 15 10:01:11 GMT 2006

Michael Brade wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 10:13, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>
>> One important reason pro processes is that a crash in a kioslave process
>> doesn't kill the whole application. This advantage of separate
>> processes over threads should not be underestimated.
>>
> That's actually a very good point! I will immediately remove all my thoughts
> about threads :-)

Threads and processes are not equivalent and have different usages, and
kioslaves are much more a job for processes than threads, IMHO. All they
need to do is to feed back a data stream to their parent, they do not
need to access the parent's data, and they are relatively short lived.
Turning kioslaves into threads would be a huge mistake. I can't see any
added benefit (not even performance), but it will introduce endless
reliability problems.

--
Guillaume
http://telegraph-road.org