The Technical Working Group's mission statement

R.F. Pels ruurd at tiscali.nl
Tue Mar 14 17:03:03 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 14.29, Matt Rogers wrote:

>> I would be willing to accept cmake provided:
>>
>> 1) it supports distributed compilation in a reasonable way
>> 2) it is supported by kdevelop in a reasonable way
>> 3) the number of supported platforms stays the same
>> 4) there is a relatively easy migration possibility from
>>    the automake build system to cmake.
>>
>> where 1) and 2) are IMHO the critical factors in cmake adoption.
>
> don't know about number 1, but number 2 probably requires new code which
> would need to be written and I don't know of anybody at this moment that
> has the time to do it. CMake does support creating KDevelop 3 projects,
> although native support would be better.

Well, concerning #1, I don't think that distrobuilders are going to be happy
if it cannot do that, and #2, let's be fair here: I think the KDE development
community would make an absolute laughing stock out of themself if they
considered using a buildsystem that is not supported in the KDE development
environment par excellence: kdevelop. And let me be clear: the argument "I
don't use kdevelop" is not a valid argument here. Keep Ballmer in mind: it's
all about developers developers developers, and that also means those that
are used to using an integrated development environment.

--
R.F. Pels,  3e Rompert 118,  5233 AL  's-Hertogenbosch,  The Netherlands
+31736414590        ruurd at tiscali.nl       http://home.tiscali.nl/~ruurd