The Technical Working Group's mission statement

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 13 13:01:21 GMT 2006

Hello fellow developers

As you may be aware, we have formed a Technical Working Group (TWG) whose
purpose is to help drive development and bring some more order to our
development bazaar. You can read the initial announcement on the dot (and
I'd post a link to it if I could access the dot).

Our initial task was to come up with our mission statement: what our goals
are for the near future.

Here is it:

==============
KDE Technical Working Group's Mission Statement

1. Goal
The main goal of the Technical Working Group (TWG) for the coming months
is the release of KDE version 4.0. This includes the following goals:
 - establishing a release plan
 - steering the process of defining of what constitutes KDE 4 (Framework,
   Desktop, Applications, etc.)
 - coordinating with other projects KDE code relies or will rely on, in
   order to ensure the KDE necessities are met

Other goals for the same period include:
 - management of the upcoming KDE 3.5.x releases
 - further goals as requested by the community, according to the TWG
   charter[1]

2. Strategy
The goals set forth by the TWG for the coming months will be achieved by
consultation of the KDE community and specific sub-communities. The TWG
will raise issues that need discussing and will help in establishing
consensus in a timely fashion.

The TWG will not disrupt the existing Open Source Process. Decisions made
by the interested parties and sub-communities regarding the development
of KDE should be upheld by the TWG. However, the TWG reserves the right to
propose alternatives to currently established procedures and decisions if
it considers them to conflict with the overall KDE development strategy

3. The KDE 4.0 release
The TWG will dedicate its efforts to ensuring that KDE 4.0 be released in
a timely fashion and include the necessary frameworks / features upon
which to build the KDE 4 desktop and applications.

In order to do that, the TWG will make proposals for the release plan,
feature set, and definition of modules (among issues) for the KDE
community to discuss and decide upon. Once decisions are reached, the TWG
will document and publicise such decisions.

The initial release plan will be adjusted according to the feature set
needed and, once closed, the TWG will oversee that the release plan is
followed. From that point on, the TWG will try to maintain the established
release cycle by:
- Vetoing to changes in the KDE 4 code branch that cause undetermineable
  slip in the planned schedule for stabilisation or completion.
- Adjusting the release plan upon request if subsystems require longer
  than anticipated to complete
- Supporting KDE developer community focus on the KDE 4.x release, for
  example via developer team meetings or reducing impact of framework
  development for application developers.

4. KDE 3.5.x releases
The TWG will also manage further patch-level releases of the KDE 3.5
series.

Links:
[1] http://ev.kde.org/corporate/twg_charter.php
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.