Trolltech, Qt 4.2 and KDE 4.0

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 13 08:53:29 GMT 2006

Hamish Rodda wrote:
>I've found that there is a lack of functionality in the QMainWindow
> class.  In order to fit in with XMLGUI and KConfig saving of toolbar
> and dockwidget settings, we would like to be able to accomplish the
> same as saveState() without having to use a binary blob.  The following
> are not possible without hacks, or using QMainWindowLayout (a private
> class):
>
>1) Determining the order of toolbars
>
>suggestion: QList<QToolBar*> QMainWindow::toolBars(Qt::ToolBarArea area
> = Qt::TopToolBarArea) const;

QList of pointers sounds ugly...

>2) Determining the toolbar breaks present
>
>suggestion: bool QMainWindow::toolBarBreakPresentAfter(QToolBar* bar)
> const;

Even more ugly.

>3) Determining the order and layout of dock windows
>
>This one is quite a bit more complex, given that they are not a linear
>sequence.  Ideas for API would be welcome.

In all three cases, you want a description of which toolbars/dockwindows
are present, where they are and how they relate to nearby
toolbars/dockwindows.

I think a nicer API for that is in order...

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.