Trolltech, Qt 4.2 and KDE 4.0

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Sun Mar 12 17:12:44 GMT 2006

Hello everyone

Trolltech is aware that KDE 4.0 will require many features present in Qt
that are currently not there or not even scheduled for Qt 4.2. And we're
also aware of discussions going on about extending our classes to provide
that functionality and of patches being made against qt-copy in hope of
being rolled into Qt in the future.

While we have our own set of priorities and features for Qt 4.2, we are
committed to seeing KDE 4.0 happen and using an unpatched Qt 4.2, without
the need for crude hacks or unnecessary subclassing. Therefore, Trolltech
is placing one resource to interact with the KDE developer community and
finding out what such needs are.

This point of contact will be me: I want to hear from the developers what
changes to Qt as it currently stands is required in order to produce KDE
4.0. However, I won't be implementing those changes myself. I'll merely
relay the information to our developers and make sure it gets the
necessary and timely attention.

I'm already collecting such issues, like the QDate range extending or the
QAction necessary modifications. And apparently we have one more for
menus, being discussed right now on kde-devel.

I'd like to hear from the developer community what those features are,
what their use-cases are and how they affect Qt. I'd also like to know
what the solution would be if Trolltech were to not accept the feature:
how much impact would it have on KDE code.

What I don't want is bug reports on Qt. We have a team of support
engineers dedicated to assessing all bug reports sent to
qt-bugs at trolltech.com. All bug reports should go through the normal
channels. I'd like to be informed only of critical issues for *KDE*, for
which there is no simple workaround.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway