DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Mar 10 18:27:14 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 18:01, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Friday 10 March 2006 11:20, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > No, read up - (c) does not mean anything at all.
> >
> > [snip]

> > > Yes, that's normally how it's done, where different authors have
> > > different sets of years.
> >
> > To sum up the facts (at least according to
> > http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html):
> > - "(C)" alone "has never been given legal force" and thus can't be used
> > _instead of_ "Copyright".
> > - © can be used instead of "Copyright", but in our case it's not really
> > a good idea to do so.
> > - Brad Templeton writes:
> >     "The correct form for a notice is:
> >        Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]"
> >   But does this mean that
> >     Copyright (C) <year(s)> <author>
> >   is problematic because of the additional "(C)"?
> >
> > Can we agree on the following?
> > - Check all files for wrong copyright notices containing "(C)" without
> > "Copyright" and fix those copyright notices.
> > - Leave copyright notices of the form
> >     Copyright (C) <year(s)> <author>
> >   in existing files as they are.
> > - Require copyright notices of new files to be of the form that was
> > already proposed above, i. e. either
> >     Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Name <user at domain>
> >   or optionally without email address
> >     Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Name
>
> Where Name is the copyright owner's real name.
> One owner per Copyright line.
>
> Instead of a Name do we allow "the KMail Developers" or "the KAPP team"??

No!

> My opinion is no, but I see copyright owners like that all over the place.

It should not be used for new files. That was already decided for KDE (early
2004 I think) and that should not be revoked (but perhaps correctly enforced
everywhere in KDE).

> Ideally, the <domain> is kde.org or another KDE sponsored domain.

Yes and no. If the copyright is from a legal entity then an email address of
that entity would be preferable, even if the user has a @kde.org email
address. (E.g. in Germany it is the employer that is copyright holder, not
the employee, except if stated otherwise in the employement contract. e.g.
KWord's SGML DocBook filter is like that.)

Have a nice day!