DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Mar 10 15:31:48 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 16:58, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> I do not think that it would completely clarify the problem.
>
> First what are libraries, what not? Especially with KDE's kdeinit
> system that is even less clear.

Yes, this is tricky, but it can be said: installed header files and
(sources of) installed binaries against you can link or which you can
load as a module are considered a library.

> Also what GPL/LGPL? Nowaday you have already the choice of GPL 2, GPL
> 2+, LGPL 2, LGPL 2+, LGPL 2.1, LGPL 2.1+ (and GPL 3 is under
> construction).

This is not a big problem, if KDE decides which is the default. Let's
say KDE decides that it is GPL2+ and LGPL2.1+. This is only for files
that do not have explicit license information!

> The second problem: would commiting to KDE SVN be recognied as
> actively setting the new file under GPL/LGPL (or whatever)?

Yes, if you did not specify otherwise in the file.

> The main problem is what is not clear can be taken against KDE in a
> court case, what is clear cannot be "returned" against KDE so easily.

Of course some measures have to be taken like:
- putting this information on the web page
- informing all current SVN account holders about the rules
- informing all new SVN account holders about the rules

> > 2) committed code must be under a GPL/LGPL compatible licence.
>
> Partially using Qt4 will force GPL-compatibility in long term (as Qt
> is QPL only under X11).

Well, and what will happen with the LGPL'd (already exiting) libraries
under win32? So I think LGPL compatible is also accepted.

> However documentation is in KDE SVN but is under a non-GPL, non-LGPL
> license: FDL

I was talking only about code (as code for a programmer). But same rules
can be set up for documentation and artwork with the corresponding
default licence.

Andras