country flags have different sizes

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Mar 8 16:37:42 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 15:22, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> well, in kxkb as I believe in many other places there are uses for
> single flag (as in tray) and multiple ones (as in tray context menu or
> kcm module with layout lists). So either we have to keep two versions of
> the flags (one of common aspect ratio and one for official) and then
> displaying will be quite different in configuration/menu and in tray
> (for kxkb). Or we can have official sizes and scale when we have to, but
> there are two problems with scaling:
> 1) with small size icons scaling quality is pretty poor
> 2) with flags like CH where 1:1 should be followed we have to omit scaling

I'd say try to display with original aspect whenever possible (and store only
that one, possible SVG sources, too), and add a special flag-display class
which scales and crops similar to modern 16:9 TVs, e.g. a 4:3 show is
displayed as 14:9 with a little cropping, a little scaling, and a little
black borders.

With flags, this translates to this proposal:
- add (transparent) borders to make it e.g. 5:3
- scale down to make it fit into 21:14 (possibly anisotropic, slightly
  distorting the flag in order to not to end up with h=8 pixels)
- if "too much"(*) scaling would happen, resort to cropping

Probably it is wise to do any isotropic scaling before adding flags PNGs to
the repository.

* (find a suitable threshold here)

Ciao, /  /
     /--/