What to do about SSL strength

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Wed Mar 8 14:46:08 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 14:19, Gary Greene wrote:
> Seeing as there are too many non-secure servers out there, this may be the
> only thing that can be done at the moment. While I do agree that people
> should be using strong ciphers, but having it "just work" is more
> important.

Let's not forget that 128-bit ciphers aren't exactly like shouting out your
credit card number across the Internet.  Sure, it's not as good as 168 bits,
but then it's much much much better than 40-bit ciphers, and is probably out
of reach at this point for any non-government-body to decipher.

So it's not a security weakness (yet) to use 128-bit by default.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne