awful KIO smb performance / kwallet

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Mar 8 13:51:07 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 13:59, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 09:55, Martin Koller wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I tried to copy a lot of files (5263, sum 123,8MB) via kio smb:// from a
> > server to my local machine (KDE > 3.5.1, Linux).
> > Effectively the CPU went to 100% and after a while the progress dialog was
> > still counting the number of files, where I thought what the heck is going
> > on ...
>
> I do not think that this behaviour is SMB-specific and if I remember well,
> there are already bug reports on that behaiour in KIO.

Listing (recursively) the directories that we're about to copy is no bug, but a necessity.
But if kio_smb is doing kwallet lookups for every single file then that's a bug in kio_smb
(or possibly in kpasswdserver? not sure). Surely we should reuse the same password
for the whole 'session' in the ioslave - more precisely, as long as the user+host doesn't
change, we don't need to look up the password every time.