DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 21:11:23 GMT 2006

Leo Savernik wrote:
>Am Sonntag, 5. März 2006 18:36 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
>> >Don't forget that Qt still supports msvc6.
>>
>> The question is if we do.
>
>Given that msvc6 doesn't even support covariant returns which we used
> already extensively at gcc-2.95 times, I think adding msvc6 support
> would be impertinent ;-)

gcc 2.95 doesn't support adjusting-covariant returns, so I don't think we
used covariant returns.

You'd get a
"gcc: internal error: sorry, unimplemented feature"
if you tried to use it.

But I agree we shouldn't support old, broken compilers unless we've got a
strong userbase for it and, more importantly, people willing to compile
KDE every now and then on those compilers and weed out the bugs.

This is how we came to the conclusion that gcc 3.3 should be supported.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.