country names translations (Was: need an idea for kxkb (multiple variants UI))

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Mar 6 11:42:20 GMT 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 00:56, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 05 March 2006 19:07, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > For KDE3, you surely can prepend "Name=" to the string and remove that
> > name later after the translation is returned.
>
> Yes, that's what I was thinking about.
>
> > Note that this would not be KDE4-compatible.
>
> Why?

> Why would i18n("Name="+country) change in kde4?

The key is now a context and the returned string has not the Key= anymore.
(where the key is Name, Comment, etc.)

So for your example, you would have to use in KDE4:
i18n ("Name", country)

The reason of the change can been seen in quite too many of the Scripty's logs
in ftp://i18n.kde.org/logs. Nearly in every run, check_po_files has to
correct entries, as the translation does not start with the right
"Key="

Have a nice day!