Qt Exception license

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sun Mar 5 19:51:12 GMT 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 15:29, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Allen Winter wrote:
> > Hello Licensing Gurus:
> >
> > I believe due to the new Qt 4 licensing we no longer need the following
> > verbage cluttering up
> > our source files.  Can the Qt exception be removed from all our source
> > files in trunk now?
> >
> > "....
> >    In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders give
> >     permission to link the code of this library with any edition of
> >     the Qt library by Trolltech AS, Norway (or with modified versions
> >     of Qt that use the same license as Qt), and distribute linked
> >     combinations including the two.  You must obey the GNU General
> >     Public License in all respects for all of the code used other than
> >     Qt.  If you modify this file, you may extend this exception to
> >     your version of the file, but you are not obligated to do so.  If
> >     you do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from
> >     your version."
>
> Why? Is commercial Qt4 license abandoned?

Thinking at one email of the recent thread about CPL (and to have the 4th
license discussion thread in a few days on 2 mailing lists), I am wondering
about something.

Olaf Jan Schmidt had written:
"You also cannot link to a proprietary library from LGPL-licensed
code (only the other way around) [...])

Applied to this thread, would it mean that an application (whatever the
license) using a KDE C++ class licensed as LGPL calling a C++ class of the
professional license is not a clear construct in a license point of view? (As
far as I understand.)

Have a nice day!