How to do l10n for dynamic strings in KDE4 ?

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sat Mar 4 11:53:37 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am currently working on adding more l10n to KMix. l10n is there in most places, but there is on challenge left, namely dynamic string translation. For example:

QString controlName = i18n( mixercontrol->getName() );   // When using the ALSA-backend, control names come straight from the kernel

While many control names are well-known (like Master, Surround, CD or PCM), there are a LOT of non-standard names. New controlo names show up with each new sound card or ALSA driver version.
How could such a l10n task be accomplished?

My current idea is to ship KMix with a set of standard names (e.g. as a lot of I18_NOOP() in an otherwise unused file).
The non-standard names would come from an XML file, that can also ship extra translations, like "name_de" below:

<control id="Optical/Coaxial_SPDIF_Input:0" controls="*" tab="Sound Routing" name_de="Optischer/Coaxialer Digital-Eingang"  />

  Christian

PS: The same goes for the Tooltips, that explain the controls