KDE4 Libs components

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Sat Mar 4 08:10:30 GMT 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Olivier Goffart wrote:

> I fail to see the real interest of separating 'components' and 'framework' in
> two different library.
> Anyway, i see potential problems: we are limiting ourself.

I fully agree. And actually I see the definition of a component as
something fully self-contained as rather problematic in the first place.
If a component is not allowed to depend on another component it's
destinated to be a rather dumb component in most cases. Or do I
misinterpret the idea as being too strict?

Let's move our minds to another GUI library Qt and look at an example like
QWizard. Would that be a considered as a component? On the first sight
maybe but closing closer one sees that it uses a lot of other components
like QPushButton. Would in analogy a (fictuous;) KWizard class be allowed
to use a KButton?

If these libraries are supposed to be attractive to 3rd party developers I
would suggest to change "collection of independant gui|core classes" into
"independant collection of gui|core classes". Otherwise the extra value of
those classes will be diminuished to a level limiting us and not helpin
anyone else much at the same time.

Harri.