KAutoStart

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 2 20:02:55 GMT 2006

hi all...

on the xdg list there's been some discussion with issues surrounding autostart
mechanisms.

security issues related to apps being allowed to simply write into the
autostart/ directory were raised on the one hand, and cross-desktop issues
were raised on the other.

it was suggested by thiago that in kde we should move away from
X-KDE-autostart-condition since it's KDE specific and doesn't work very well
in a not-all-KDE world. instead applications should simply add a .desktop
file to the user's autostart directory with Hidden=true or Hidden=false

to ensure that the latter happens i suggested we provide a utility class that
app developers can use easily to set autostart on/off. this has the happy
side effect of future proofing how this is handled by apps in case the
methods used to accomplish this change, such as the addition of a command
line tool to add/remove autostart .desktop files for security reasons or if
we move away from .desktop files for this (though that's unlikely?)

attached is an API for such a class for review. if it is accepted i'd like to
add this for KDE4 as one of the "KDE component" classes rather than add it to
kdecore and then later move it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo