debug libs (Re: KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 2 10:56:12 GMT 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>How do we want to deal with the Qt release and debug libs ?
>I planned to link the Qt debug libs when doing a debug build, and to the
>release libs when doing a !debug build. If not both are available, link
> to the version which is available.

I'd say: unless the user tells us to, always link to
libQt{Core,Gui,Xml,etc}.so, not to the _debug versions.

The problem is if the user tells us to link to the debug version in
kdelibs, but the release version in kdecore. I don't like hardcoding the
Qt mode in the kdelibs installation, so I'd recommend that if you turn Qt
debug on, you do it for ALL of your KDE modules.

We don't expect many people to link to the Qt debug builds. They are
REALLY slow, because lots of inlineable methods are not inlined. Just
think that almost the whole of QList, QMap, QHash, etc. are inlined; the
Q_ASSERT calls vanish, etc.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.